
Education
The Gymnasium "Ha Ivri"
"The Vilkaviškis Gymnasium was more than a school; it was the intellectual lighthouse of our community. Within its walls, the languages of the world were mastered, and the leaders of the next generation were forged. This section honors the buildings that housed us, the diplomas that proved our worth, and the lifelong friendships born in its corridors."
The high school was established in 1919 at the initiative of a founders committee whose members were intelligent Jewish merchants, advocates of the Hebrew language who cared for the education of their children. They were Ya'akov Chmilevsky, A.Zeiberg, A.Volberg, Ya'akov Solomin, Peretz Silver, Yosef Sperling, Shimshon Volovitzky, Neta Teitelbaum and Neta Matz.
In August 1919 hundreds of children started their studies in this high school, where all subjects were taught in Hebrew with Sephardi pronunciation.
The first graduation class completed its studies in 1921.
ROLL OF HONOR

The Foundation Years
"Every great journey begins with a single step. Following the end of the Great War and the birth of the Lithuanian Republic, the Hebrew Gymnasium began its life in this modest structure. Despite its humble appearance, this building housed the ambitious dreams of a community determined to provide its youth with a modern, world-class education in their own language. It was here that the first traditions of the school were born."
The Location

A Period of Expansion
"By the mid-1920s, the Gymnasium’s reputation was growing rapidly, drawing students from across the region. The school moved to this larger facility to accommodate its expanding student body and a more diverse curriculum. This building represents the transition of the Gymnasium into a cornerstone of Vilkaviškis’ intellectual life, bridging the gap between its pioneering start and its future as a modern academy."
Final Gymnasium Site (From 1930)

The Final Site (From 1930)
A Monument to Education
"In 1930, the Gymnasium moved to its final and most prestigious location. This grand, multi-story brick edifice was a modern marvel of its time, designed specifically to meet the rigorous academic demands of a premier secondary school. As the crown jewel of the town's educational system, it stood as a proud symbol of Vilkaviškis' intellectual ambition.
"This building was a true 'beehive' of activity and the cornerstone of daily life. The ground floor was home to the ORT Trade School, where students gained the practical, vocational skills essential for the 'Economic Engine' of the town





