What They Found:
Rebuilding Vilkaviškis (1918–1925)
The First Steps of Governance As the German military occupation began to collapse in late 1918, the people of Vilkaviškis did not wait for outside help. On November 21, 1918, a Provisional Town Council was elected by all residents over the age of 20. In a spirit of shared destiny, the town elected six Christians and six Jews to lead them.
This committee—including leaders like Dr. Juozas Kudirka, Josel Kabaker, Lipman Jappu, and Abram Berman—met immediately to face a desperate situation. Their first acts were to forbid the arbitrary requisitioning of food and to demand that taxes collected by the Germans be handed over to the town to prevent starvation and financial ruin.
The Struggle for Order and Light The town was in a state of "lawlessness and widespread speculation." To protect the citizens, a 20-man militia was organized, led by Stasys Jucevičius. They specifically excluded anyone who had served in the old Russian police, seeking men of "good behavior" who knew the Lithuanian language.
Recognizing that infrastructure was the key to the future, the committee fought to buy the town's Electricity Station from the German authorities before it could fall into private hands. On January 2, 1919, the station became town property, a symbol of a town reclaiming its own power.
A New Era of Autonomy While the town was being rebuilt physically, the Jewish community began a period of unprecedented social and economic growth under the new "Autonomy Law." Returning residents found the economic situation dire, but a relief committee and the newly elected Community Committee (1919) provided a lifeline.
In the first committee meeting on December 30, 1919, the minutes were recorded in both Hebrew (by Secretary Bilotsky) and Yiddish (by Secretary Guterman). For a few brief years, Jewish culture was visible on the very streets of the town—shop signs were written in Lithuanian alongside Hebrew and Yiddish, marking a vibrant, if fragile, era of openness.
The Economic Pulse By the mid-1920s, the town was "humming" again. The recovery was driven by a community of Jewish artisans—including 24 shoemakers, 20 tailors, and even a lone ropemaker—and supported by the Volksbank, which by 1928 had grown to 718 members.
